Couple nutritious spinach with rice and go green with your rice recipe. It is a wonderful recipe to serve something delectable yet rich in nutrients to your children. Needless to say, a perfect lunch-box meal for your school going kids.
This is one of those dishes that don’t take much of your time and can be cooked anytime, whenever you’re in hurry or left with not many options in your refrigerator. All you need is frozen spinach handy in your fridge to make this palatable pulao at the time of emergency or rush.
An authentic flavor that sambhar and garam-masala powder provide to the ‘Spinach Rice’ is irresistable for you and your children’s taste buds.Try this versatile and budget-friendly recipe. Believe me; the dish will make you say- “Spinach has never tasted so delicious before”.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 2 cups Spinach
- 2 cups basmati rice
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Sambhar Powder
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 3 green Chilies
- 1 inch ginger
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Rinse the basmati rice thoroughly with tap water to get rid of all the impurities. Then, leave washed rice soaked in enough water for about half an hour.
- Finely chop garlic, onion, green chillies and ginger. Alternatively, you may also grind garlic, chillies and ginger together.
- Next, separate spinach leaves and wash them well under running water. This will make spinach leaves free from sand and other such impurities. Leave the washed leaves of spinach in a sieve for some time to let water drained. Then, cut them roughly.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter in a pressure-cooker, and put the cooker on a flame to heat up a little. On heating, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Next, add chopped onions and fry them till they turn brown and become translucent. After this, add finely chopped or minced green chillies, garlic and ginger. Sauté all ingredients for about a min. Then, add roughly chopped spinach, coriander leaves and green peas. Sauté the ingredients for few more minutes.
- Once ingredients get cooked, add 2 tsp of garam-masala powder, ¼ tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp of sambhar powder and salt to taste. Cook for next one minute.
- When the spinach leaves become tender and the water (released from the spinach) gets dried up fully, then add the basmati rice and mix well.
- Next, put in 4 cups of water to the pressure-cooker, and blend the mixture properly. Put the lid on, and cook the rice till it becomes fit to eat.
- Once cooked, release the steam of pressure cooker.
- Spinach Pulao is ready to get served with any gravy, plain yoghurt or raita of your choice.
Savor the SPINACH- RICE slowly.