A word for it: One with not much taste for any foreign cuisine, the white sauce pasta flipped the story for me. Not only it had me then plunge into the Italian recipes, and for that matter firstly pressed one as-opposed-to cooking-as-one-could-be (!) into learning the intricacies of the art, but gave me to understand what ‘love’ of a dish was.
In the way of saying of my friend and I, the ‘while sauce pasta’ makes for one of the few ‘orgasmic’ food of the world. Ya, you caught it!
Take note: The quality of the pasta used of course makes much difference to the dish, so ensure you get one of a good quality. The heavier and the more coloured it is the better.
Pasta is available in many different varieties, common one’s being — penne, shells, spaghetti, bow or twiste etc. This is not of much consequence; however I personally prefer the twiste and penne kind for they appear heavier.
The way to it…
A white sauce pasta dish for 4.
Time taken: About 30 minutes.
- 100g of Pasta
- 100g broccoli
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ½ chopped garlic
- 1 packet Button mushrooms (optional, am not much a fan either)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of black pepper powder
- 1 Green chilly (optional)
- 2 cheese cubes
- 4 cups of water
- Herbs (Thyme/Basil/coriander)
For white sauce
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp wheat flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add milk and stir well.
- Then stir in the wheat flour and continue stirring to ensure there are no lumps. Let the sauce thicken, and it ’s ready. Set it aside.
- Boil water and add the raw pasta to it.
- Then add in a few drops of olive oil and a bit of salt. Keep stirring every few minutes to ensure the pasta doesn’t stick onto the vessel.
- Add more water if needed.
- When the pasta becomes soft and fluffs up, it’s ready. Strain it. Place it in fresh water and strain again.
(You might want to keep that hot strained water for making the white sauce as you cook them both side by side practically.)
- Rub the pasta in a bit of oil. This is to ensure they don’t stick to each other.
- Chop up the garlic, mushroom, carrots and broccoli.
- Cut out the chili, coriander and the other herbs.
- Take a pan and add 2 tbsp of olive oil to it. Let it heat up and then add the chopped garlic. Let it cook for a minute or so on low flame.
- Now add all the vegetables except the mushroom and stir for a minute.
- Then add the mushroom as well as salt. Let it cook till the mushroom water dries off.
- Once the water has dries off, add the pasta and mix well. Then add the tomato puree and again stir, but gently as the pasta my break or mesh up.
- Next sprinkle the black pepper.
- Here now pour in the white sauce and mix.
- If you’d rather have it more liquid, add milk. Let it cook a while.
- The white sauce pasta is ready.
- Put in bowl and garnish it with grated cheese.
Serve it with garlic bread. Else, in its absence toasted bread is good too.
- Remember to add salt while boiling the pasta
- Also, do not over-boil or later overcook the pasta else it’ll mesh up.
- To make the pasta richer you may also add a tbsp of cream.
- The white sauce is essential in the dish. Tune it to suit you. To make it thicker add more flour to the milk.
Make it… love it!