This heartily warming vegetarian pie is a great delight for a Sunday afternoon. The puffed pie with thinly sliced tomatoes, peppers, garlic and rich mozzarella cheese, makes it look richer than it is. Surprisingly, it is low in calories too. The kids are going to love the cheesy vegetables baked with mayonnaise. So, next time your kid say no to green veggies…bake this vegetable pie for them.
Cooking Time : 45 mins
Serves : 4
- Garlic salt (see notes)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 Zucchini or Yellow Squash (sliced)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Pepper (Green) (chopped)
- 1 cup Cheese (Mozzarella) (shredded)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 10-inch Pie Shell (unbaked)
- 15 ounces Fresh Mushrooms ( sliced)
- Add onions, mushrooms, zucchini/yellow squash and green pepper along with a generous amount of butter.
- Sauté the vegetables till they are tender.
- Make sure that the vegetables do not become over soft.
- Drain the vegetables well.
- Combine pepper, salt and garlic salt.
- Cut the tomato into slices and place them at the bottom of the pie shell.
- Lay the cooked vegetables over the sliced tomatoes.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and mayonnaise over the vegetables.
- Bake the vegetable pie in an oven for 45 minutes at 350 degree F.
- Serve hot.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables.
- You can use fresh garlic cloves if you don’t have garlic salt.
- You can also use homemade pie shell.
- Use unbaked pie shell.