Managing thick curly hair can be a really difficult task and it can take up a great amount of your time! However, the luscious thick curls that you get in return are definitely worth the bumpy ride! Dealing with curly thick hair is no less than a battle on a daily basis. However, the only way to truly make the battle easier is by coming to terms with your curly hair and loving them just the way they are.
There are many tips and tricks that you can follow to tame your thick, curly hair, which is discussed in the sections below.
How to Style Naturally Thick Curls
When you’re browsing hairstyles for thick curly hair, you might notice that all of the hairstyles have one thing in common: there are no flyaways in those hairstyles and the curls look gorgeous whereas your hair is full of flyaways and you can’t tame them! Here are a few tips on how to style naturally curly & thick hair:
- Apply gel immediately after you step out of the shower. Hair gel does wonders for naturally curly hair! It keeps the hair strands together and prevents them from getting fluffy and frizzy. There are many hair gels out there that you can use, but homemade hair gel using flaxseed is the best! It will moisturize your hair as well.
- Instead of straightening them and damaging them, go natural and embrace your curls! Use a curl activator to enhance your curls and get those beautiful salon curls that you always see on TV!
- Never brush your thick curls while styling. Use a wide-toothed comb if you need to, but don’t use anything finer than that. Try to use your hands as the primary styling weapon.
Watch The Following Video to Learn How to Styles Thick Curly Hair in Different Ways
Semi-Curly Hair VS Curly Hair
When it comes to thick curly hair, there are many different types of curly hair based on the structure of your hair strands. There’s curly hair and then there’s semi-curly hair. Both of these are different from wavy hair.
So, what’s the difference between semi-curly hair and curly hair? Semi curly hair is a mix between curly and wavy hair, whereas curly hair is fully curly hair with proper swirls. We hope the difference is clear to you now!
Hair Care Tips for Curly Thick Hair
It’s a fact that thick, curly hair is pretty hard to manage and anyone with curly hair will confirm that for you. It takes ages not only to shower but also to comb and style your hair! Having thicker curly hair is a constant battle that you can only win by truly embracing your hair and taking care of it properly. Only if you nourish your curly hair properly will you be able to reap the benefits of having curly hair. Here are a few hair care tips for curly hair:
- Make sure you don’t brush your curly hair, ever! Not when they’re wet and definitely not when they’re dry. Brushing curly hair will only damage them and make them frizzy. Just use a wide-toothed comb on your hair to style them while they’re partially wet.
- Apply silicone-free moisturizing hair mask or gel to your thick curly hair every now and then. The key to having lusciously smooth curls is to make sure your hair is moisturized!
- Apply an egg mask to your hair every now and then. Just mix together some mayonnaise and two egg whites. Next, apply it all over your hair and leave it on for about 30 minutes to one hour. Rinse your hair and see the transformation for yourself!
- Avoid straightening your hair too often. It’s okay to straighten your hair every once in a while, but straightening them too often can cause a lot of damage to your hair.
- Let your curly thick hair air-dry instead of blow-drying them.
Following Tutorial Shows Hair Care Tips and Tricks for Thick Curly Hair
Popular Thick Curly Hairstyles
We have curated a list of 7 hairstyle ideas for women with thick curly hair to explore with pride.
This high half-bun is a great hairstyle for thick curly hair because not only does it look gorgeous, but it also prevents your hair from getting too frizzy and controls the volume of your hair. Moreover, it’s a pretty easy hairstyle to carry around and it barely takes any time to get this hairstyle!
Curly thick hair looks great in a high bun. If you’re looking for hairstyles for thick curly hair, then the simple bun is an inevitable hairstyle that you will definitely come across. It’s easy to make and it gives a nice casual look.
Half-up thick curly ponytail hairstyles. Part the front half of your hair and tie it into a ponytail using either a pony or your own hair. Leave the rest of your hair open and there you go, you end up with a chic hairstyle for thick & curly hair!
4. High Bun with a Bandana
Thick curly hair can be hard to manage at formal events because they can get pretty messy and frizzy. However, this high bun with a band across the base of the bun is a great hairstyle if you want a formal party looks! It’s elegant and classy and it will keep your thick curls out of your face as well!
5. Long Bob
Bobs are extremely fashionable these days and they’re one of the most trending hairstyles out there! Thick curly hairstyles look great when styled into a long or a medium layered bob. The cut helps redistribute the volume of curly hair so that there’s not too much volume at any one spot!
6. Pigtail Buns
This double-up bun style looks absolutely gorgeous and is a great hairstyle to carry around, especially if you have curly thicker hair. It’s hard to find decent hairstyles for thick curly hair because they can get frizzy pretty easily, but this hairstyle is pretty manageable and looks stunning as well! It gives you a great casual look.
7. Braids and Brown Curls
This is another deluxe hairstyle for thick curly hair that you can wear to formal events and parties! Section your hair and make three French braids on each side, as shown in the picture above. Then, on the top part of your head, bring up a few curls from the back and tie them so that they look natural.
Thick curly hair is hard to take care of and requires a lot of time and effort, but once taken care of, looks absolutely stunning! So, what are you waiting for? Take care of your curls, embrace them, love them and watch your curls transform into beautiful and smooth curls!