Formed in 1996, this British rock band has given us innumerable hits over the years. With brilliant music and an umpteen number of chartbusters to their credit, Coldplay has time and again delivered music that touches one’s soul, brings out the irony of life and feels liberating.
Chris Martin, the band’s lead vocalist; Jonny Buckland, lead guitarist; Guy Berryman, chief bassist; and Will Champion, the drummer are all creative masterminds who’ve composed catchy melodies with stirring lyrics. Their musical style is limestone rock, more of blue romantic and meditative. Martin’s poetic wordplay has often been termed as feminist, creating music for the global audiences. The band has received several Grammy’s, and other prominent honours such as the Brit Awards, Billboard Music Awards and World Music Awards.
Let’s get started with the tricky task of picking just a few of their hundreds of outstanding compositions. We bring to you their terrific ten.
- Paradise (Mylo Xyloto, 2011)
- Viva la vida (Viva la vida or Death and All his friends, 2008)
- The Scientist (A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2002)
- Only superstition (Brothers and Sisters, 1999)
- Easy to Please (Brothers and Sisters, 1999)
- Yellow (Parachutes, 2000)
- Clocks (A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2003)
- Every teardrop is a waterfall (Mylo Xyloto, 2011)
- Hurts Like Heaven (Mylo Xyloto, 2011)
- Trouble (Parachutes, 2000)