It is a typical and traditional Bengali dish, which is prepared with minimum spices. In common words, you can call it the Mixed Vegetable, because it is made of almost every vegetable, available at home like cabbages, cauliflower, and tomato. Shukto is bitter in taste, and usually eaten at lunch.
Time to prepare: 20 Minutes
Time to cook: 15-20 Minutes
2 Bitter Gourd
100 gm Pumpkin
6-7 French Beans
1 Ridge Gourd
1 Tbsp Mustard Seed
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
2 Tbsp Mustard Paste
1 Tsp Ginger Paste
4 Tbsp Mustard Oil
- Dice all the vegetables into even size.
- In a vessel, heat 3 Tbsp of mustard oil, add mustard seeds.
- As the mustard seeds start to pop, add the veggies.
- Mix mustard oil with the veggies, and cook in a low flame with a lid.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked, remove the lid. Pour about half cup of water, mustard paste, ginger paste, and add turmeric powder. Mix them well.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or till the veggies are properly cooked (on low to medium flame)
- Pour the rest of oil (for taste).
- Take it out of the flame.
Tastes the best, while eaten with rice!