Besan dumplings with spicy yogurt based gravy. A special Rajasthani delicacy.
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 1½cup onion paste
- 2 cups besan
- 1½ cups yogurt (dahi) whisked
- ½ inch ginger paste
- ¼ tsp soda bicarbonate
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 cup tomato puree
To Make Gatte
- Take besan in a bowl and mix oil, turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, coriander seeds, chopped ginger and garlic, sodium bi-carbonate and cumin seeds along with the whipped curd.
- Knead the dough well. In case, if the dough turns sticky add a little oil and keep the dough aside.
- Now, roll the dough and make long cylindrical shaped rolls.
- Boil the rolls in water for 25-30 minutes till the roughness of the besan rolls disappears.
- Drain the gatte and preserve the water.
- Cut the gatte in large cubes.
- Fry them in lightly in oil.
To Make Gravy
- Heat oil, add cumin seeds along with a pinch of hing splutter them, and add onion paste sauté till golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste to the onion paste.
- Add tomato paste and cook till it leaves oil on it.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and salt.
- Lower the flame, add the remaining dahi to the gravy and stir it continuously.
- Add garam masala and add the gatte in the gravy, cook until the oil starts separating from the gravy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.