If you’re crazy about rice, then this one is for you. Hailing from Thailand’s south zone; this trouble-free food is mainly gobbled with roasted chicken. The incredible amalgamation of coconut and saffron is a perfect dish, served for a potluck or dinner party. Instead of saffron, you can use turmeric as it’s cost-efficient.
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
Rice (Thai jasmine): 2 Cups
Coconut milk (good quality): 2 Cups
Chicken/vegetable stock (good tasting): 1 ¾ Cups
Shredded coconut (dry, unsweetened, baking type): 2 ½ Tbsp
Turmeric powder: 1 Tsp
Saffron threads (Optional): ¼ to ½ Tsp
Minced garlic: 1 clove
Fish sauce Or soy sauce (if vegetarian): 1 Tbsp
Lemon juice: 1 Tbsp
Ground cumin: 1 Tsp
Dried chillies (crushed): ¼ to ½ Tsp
Green onions OR sliced chives, (to garnish): 2
1. Put the stock in the vessel and place it on high heat.
2. Put: turmeric, garlic, saffron threads, fish sauce, cumin, lemon juice and chilli.
3. Swirl it well and boil it once.
4. Add the cleansed rice, coconut milk, shredded coconut and stir it continuously.
5. Try to save the rice from sticking it to the base.
6. When you find the liquid bubbling, lower down the heat and end stirring.
7. Cover up the vessel closely with a top.
8. Cook it for about 15 minutes or till the water has been immersed.
9. Now you can turn the heat off, leaving the vessel (covered) on the burner, to steam it for 5-10 minutes more.
10. Before serving it, do taste it for salt. If you find it not salty enough, put in some more fish sauce. Now, you can sprinkle a little salt. If you feel that the saltiness is high, then you can squeeze some lemon juice.
Proceed to Garnish
You can garnish it with green onion. For serving, you can accompany it with Thai Curry or any of your favourite Indian curry. You can use other dishes to escort the dish. Enjoy the Thai Delicacy!