A South Indian pudding which is made with semolina and loads of cashew nuts prepared in a jiffy. The essence of fruity flavors gives the sweet a special twist.
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Serves : 2
- Pinch of saffron
- Color (optional)
- Flavor essence (mango, or rose)
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee
- 1-2 tbsp cashews (broken)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (powder)
- 1/2 cup Semolina (Rava or sooji)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Sugar
- In a pan heat some ghee.
- Cook the cashew nuts until it turns golden brown.
- Keep aside the cashew nuts.
- Roast the semolina for three minutes on a low flame.
- Sauté it till it is golden brown.
- Pour in water to the semolina.
- Keep stirring the semolina to avoid lumps.
- Cook the semolina completely until it stops sticking to the sides of the pan.
- Combine sugar to the semolina.
- Make sure the mixture is completely cooked before adding the sugar.
- Add sugar evenly over the surface of the pan.
- Sauté the mixture until the sugar gets completely melted.
- When the mixture forms a thick consistency add saffron (kesar)
- Add some color if you desire.
- Garnish with cashew nuts.
- Serve hot or chilled as per your taste.
If you want a fruity essence, add up a few drops of mango, pineapple or vanilla essence to the halwa.