At times we run out of veggies at home but have lot of left-over polis (chapattis). ‘Policha Kuskara’ or ‘Phodnichi Poli’ is a great way to utilize those stale, leftover rotis. It serves as a wonderful option for breakfast or quick evening snacks whenever there are extra chapattis.
It is a typical Marathi breakfast, which is quick and easy to prepare. There is hardly any Marathi family who hasn’t heard or liked it. It is a real treat, especially to children across all Marathi households.
- 6-7 Chapattis(Poli)
- 1 roughly chopped medium sized onion
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons raw peanuts
- ½ teaspoon asafetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of asafetida
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Urad–dal (optional)
Method of Preparation
- Tear and pulverize rotis/poli with hands. If rotis are dry enough, grind them roughly in a mixer.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add urad dal(if using),curry leaves, turmeric powder and asaefoetida. Fry the tadka for a minute.
- Now, add raw peanut and chopped peanuts. Heat the mixture on medium flame until onion becomes soft and translucent and the peanuts get crispy.
- Add red –chili powder then and immediately on it, add roughly crushed poli. Make sure, you add crushed rotis before red chili starts burning.
- Add sugar and salt. Mix ingredients well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Don’t cook for long, otherwise it will turn hard.
- Put off flame and add lime juice. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Be cautious while sprinkling salt to dish as it requires salt in small quantity.
- This snack tastes superb when left-over (stale) chapattis are used to prepare it as leftover chapattis add crispiness to the dish.
- It pairs well with curd. Add green chili to make the dish spicier, and then serve curd along with the dish. Curd and Phodanichi Poli is a great combo- my personal favorite.
- ‘Chivda’ can also be sprinkled on the top of the dish.
Hope you enjoy making and eating the dish!