Batata- Vada is a popular fast- food snack among North- Indians. When this batata -vada is sandwiched between sweet tamarind chutney and coriander/mint Chutney smear pav(bun), it becomes vada-pav-Mumbai special recipe!
Vada-Pav is a famous snack across the Maharashtra and a damn appealing appetizing snack to ‘Mumbaiwallas’. At all stalls, corners and nook of Mumbai, one can find vada- pav.
For the Vadas
- 2 medium sized boiled potatoes
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp paste of garlic and ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Lemon juice
- 2 tsp coriander leaves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Some curry leaves
- 1 medium sized finely chopped onion
For outer covering of Vadas (Batter)
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- ¼ cup besan (gram) flour
- ½ tsp chili powder
- A pinch of baking soda
- Oil to deep fry/toast
- Salt to taste
- 4 Pav Buns
- 2 tbsp green(coriander or mint) chutney
- 2 tbsp red (tamarind) chutney
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 pieces
Method of Preparation
For the Vadas
- Grind ginger, green chilies and garlic together into a paste.
- Peel and mash potatoes with hands or a potato-masher. Do not crush them, allow small chunks to remain.
- Add coriander leaves, garlic-green chili-ginger paste and salt to taste in the roughly mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to it. As the seeds begin to crackle, add a pinch of asafetida, curry leaves and the chopped onion. Heat until onion turns light golden in color.
- Add turmeric powder and the prepared mixture of potatoes. Mix the ingredients well.
- Remove the pan from flame and allow it to cool.
- After the mixture gets cooled, make small potato balls (you may flatten them instead) and keep them ready.
For the Vada Coating
- Take gram flour in a mixing bowl. Add turmeric powder, salt and chili powder to it. Mix the dry ingredients well.
- Now add water slowly and gradually to make a flowing, slightly thick batter. Batter should be lumps-free.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to deep fry potatoes ball.
- Dip the prepared potato- balls in the batter. Coat them well and leave in the hot oil.
- Deep fry the vadas on a medium-high heat until they turn into golden-brown color.
- Remove the cooked vadas onto a paper towel in order to drain oil. Batata- Vada is ready!
Serve hot batata pav with tomato sauce or chutney, accompanied with a cup of masala-chai. Otherwise, proceed to make a vada-pav.
For the Vada-Pav
- Lightly warm pav, hamburger buns or dinner rolls.
- Slice pav keeping their base intact.
- Spread green chutney (or mint chutney) on one side and red chutney on the other side of the splitted pav.
- Flatten one batata vada lightly.
- Place the flattened batata- vada and a layer of onion slice inside the pav.
- Close the pav and serve.
This Mumbai Vada –Pav makes a perfect combination with a cup of cutting chai in the evening.
- Laddi Pavs (a square shapedbread roll) are easily available at local bakeries. Use them instead of bun.
- In absence of Pav, you can use bread slices or roll too.
- Curry leaves can be grinned along with the garlic-ginger paste to enhance their flavor, despite using them directly, in non-grinned form.
- This dish sure requires time. You may prepare chutneys before day and refrigerate them. It will make vada- pav preparation a bit quick and easy.
- Instead of deep frying potato-balls, you may toast them in ‘paniyaram pan’.
- Chutneys can be kept aside to dip pav -buns despite spreading them on inner surface of bun.
- Left over batter can be put to use by dipping bread pieces (1 slice cut into 4 pieces) in the batter and frying. Serve along with tomato sauce or chutneys.
- Oil should not be too hot because it darkens the vadas from the outside before they are done well from the inside.
- Avoid over-crowding of pan with vadas while frying them as it reduces oil temperature. As a result, frying process slows down.
- In the tempering, substitute 1 teaspoon split black- gram (udad- dal) for mustard seeds to bring variation in the dish.
Prepare and enjoy eating!