The soft and crispy fritters are made of Moong Dal. Most commonly, they are also known as pakoras, nationwide. This Crunchy, spicy snack is a special treat for rainfalls, when you have with green chutney.
Prep Time: 4-6 Hours Minimum
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Ready in: 20-25 Minutes
- 1-2 cup of split, and wash Moong dal
- 1 cup of potatoes (boiled, peeled, shredded)
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro or hara dhania
- 1-2 green chilli (minced), as per the taste
- 1 tablespoon of ginger (finely grated)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt, or as per your taste
- Oil for frying
- You have to clean and soak the dal, with around 3 cups of water, for more than four hours. For better results, you can also keep it overnight, for soaking.
- Using very less water, grind the dal coarsely.
- Let the potatoes get boiled at one side. Make sure, it becomes soft to prepare a batter of it.
- Now, when the potatoes are soft-boiled, take it in a large bowl after peeling, to mix it with other ingredients.
- Put all the ingredients into dal-batter, with potatoes, green chili, cilantro, ginger, asafoetida, cumin seeds, and salt.
- Beat the batter properly, for about 2-3 minutes.
- This will give the batter a light texture.
- To keep the batter soft, you may also add a little water if required.
- Take care of the texture of the batter, as it should not be too tight or thin to fry.
- Now, take a frying pan and heat some oil on medium flame.
- The pan should have, at least, 1 inch of refined oil, or any other oil that you prefer.
- Initially, check whether the oil is ready or not, by putting one drop of the prepared batter, in it.
- The batter must sizzle and rise, but it should not change the colour immediately. Remember, If the oil becomes very hot, then the pakoras will not get cooked from inside, and also not become crispy.
- Now, deep fry the pakoras in a batch of small roundels.
- Fry the pakoras, until it appears golden-brown in color, from all sides.
- To keep it crispy from outside, and soft from inside, prefer frying on low to medium heat.
- Serve with green Cilantro Chutney or sauces, whatever you like.