Masoor dal cooked with basmati rice with a tang of lemon and cilantro… an irresistible recipe for those who say a big “NO” to dals (lentils).
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Serves : 4
- Turmeric (pinch)
- lemon juice( few drops)
- cilantro (garnishing)
- 3 spring onions (sliced)
- 3 cloves and cardamom
- 2-1/2 cups of vegetable
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1-2 green chillies (sliced)
- 1/2 cup red masoor dal
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- In a pan, add butter, bay leaf, cardamom, cloves, chilli, garlic, onion and salt.
- When the onions turn translucent, add tomatoes with garam masala and turmeric.
- Sauté the mixture for a minute.
- Combine the rice and dal.
- Stir the dal and rice till they turn aromatic.
- Combine the vegetable stock.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Add water to the mixture.
- Add frozen peas if you want to.
- Cover the rice for 9-11 minutes with a lid.
- Finally add some color to the rice.
- Garnish with cilantro and spring onions.
- Sprinkle some lemon drops if you like it little tangy.
- Serve with papad or raita.