This spicy and delicious dish is prepared in almost every house of Maharashtra. The ‘goda masala’ is the specialty of this dish. It makes the dish extra- aromatic and rich in flavor. It is a tasty speedy dish that can be prepared quickly on the arrival of unexpected guests at home. Many different vegetables, such as cauliflower, carrot, potato, cabbage, beans, green peas and Ivy Gourd (tendli) can be added to it. I’ve prepared the dish using green peas and ivy gourd. There are many different recipes for preparing masala bhaat.
So here we go with our spicy and yummiest Masala Bhaat-
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati Rice
- ½ cup frozen or fresh non-shelled green peas(matar)
- ½ cup vertically sliced Ivy gourd
- ¼ cup Cashew-nuts
- 2 teaspoons chopped green chilies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2-3 tbsp Goda Masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp peppercorns (powdered/non-powdered form)
- 1 and 1/2-inch piece of cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- ½ cup grated coconut (optional)
Preparation Time: 15
Cooking Time: 25
Method of Preparation
- Wash basmati rice properly and immerse it in water for at least 15 min. After 15 min, drain the entire water and keep the rice aside for about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and the mustard seeds in it.
- When mustard seeds start sputtering, add asafetida, cumin seeds cinnamon, curry leaves, peppercorns, cloves, green chilies and turmeric powder. Sauté the ingredients properly.
- Now add chopped Ivy gourd, cashew-nuts, drained rice and goda masala. Cook for about 2 min on a medium flame.
- Next, add 2 cups of water, lemon juice, salt and sugar. Mix the ingredients well and close the pressure-cooker lid.
- Allow the rice to cook for up to 3 whistles.
- Remove the lid when the steam of cooker is released.
- Garnish with grated coconut (if using) and fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with tomato –saar or soy yoghurt.
If you’ve never tried out this classic Marathi dish before, it’s time to try out this supremely healthy and delicious dish!
- Rinsing the rice, draining the water completely and keeping aside make every rice-grain to get cooked well without gluing to each other.
- Use of ‘Pressure- cooker’, makes the masala bhaat preparation fast and easy.