Holi is the time of festivities and celebration, but, the magic of colours is really incomplete without a plateful of sweets. After eating too many sweets, you need some digestive drink. So, here is the recipe of Kanji vada.
Preparation Time- 3 days
Cooking Time- 1½ – 2 hours
Ingredients for Kanji
- 1 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- ¼ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 pinches Asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 litres (10 glasses) Water
Ingredients for Vada
- Oil for frying
- Salt- to taste
- 1 teacup (100 grams) Green Gram (Moong Dal)
Cooking Directions for Kanji
- Boil the water. Allow it to cool in a container.
- To this water, add black salt, yellow mustard, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mix it, well.
- Cover the container and keep it aside for three days.
- Stir it with dry and clean spoon, once in a day.
- Tangy Kanji is ready on the fourth day.
Now, prepare Vadas.
Cooking Directions for Vadas
- Wash green gram and soak it in water for two hours.
- Drain water and grind the green gram.
- Take out grinded gram in a bowl and add salt to it. Mix well.
- Prepare small vadas with your hands.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Put the vadas in it. Fry them, till they become fluffy rounds and turn brown on both sides.
- Take lukewarm water and soak the fried vadas in it for fifteen minutes.
- Take out them from lukewarm water and put 5-6 vadas in a glass.
- Top it with Kanji. The refreshing drink is ready to serve.
Rejoice the auspicious occasion of Holi with lip smacking Kanji vada.