Bhaji is a special dish of Marathi, but it’s liked and enjoyed in other parts of the country as well. It is a very popular and yum variant of pakoda.
We Indians, cherish monsoon season the most. In different regions, monsoon shower is welcomed with different food items. For Marathi, rain comfort cuisine is Kanda Bhaji. It is much loved dish, across households in Maharashtra.
Bhaji are great to have not just on a rainy-day but other days too. They can also be served either as a morning or evening snack. This home-made dish requires few ingredients, which are normally available in your kitchen.
- 1 Cup gram flour (Besan)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 large Onion
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt and red chilli powder to taste
- Oil for frying
- Peel off onions and cut them into thin slices or ring shapes.
- Take besan(gram flour) into a mixing bowl and also add rice flour to it.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, carom seeds, baking soda, coriander powder and mix well.
- Add water slowly and continuously to make thick consistent batter.
- Next, add coriander leaves (finely chopped) and sliced onion. Mix the content well.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadhai for deep frying.
- Add the prepared batter in batches into hot oil. Ensure onion slices are well coated with the batter.
- Deep fry pakodas into oil until both sides get golden brown in color.
- Drain excess oil by using tissue papers.
- Serve hot and crispy kanda bhaji with spicy chutney.
Kanda bhaji tastes better if it is accompanied with Cutting Chai. Hope you find them easy and quick to make!