Breakfast is indeed an important meal of the day. A healthy breakfast fuels us for the day. Without breakfast, a day goes restless, irritable and tired. So, make sure that your family doesn’t skip it. One of the best ways to make your morning meal healthy is to include ‘oats’ in it. Oats is a hearty way to kick off the day. Hence, a dish that I’m sharing with you is a very nutritious version of usual idlis that we eat- ‘OAT IDLI’.
Also, when you or any member of your family is on a diabetic diet, oats idlis make a perfect meal because rava(Semolina) and oats are main ingredients of it; unlike usual idlis, which are made with rice flour.
Here is the recipe of the dish that is quick to make and tastes delicious similar like ‘rava idli’-
- 1 ½ cup Oats (dry roast oats for 5 min, cool and then pulverize to a fine powder )
- ¾ cup Semolina (upma rava/ suji)
- 1 cup Yoghurt (curd)
- ½ tsp cooking soda (Eno salt)
- 1 carrot (peeled and grated)
- Salt to taste
- Water as per requirement
For tempering (Tadka/Poppu)
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp split Black gram pulses (minappapu/urad dal)
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 teaspoon oil
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Main Ingredients: Oats and Semolina
Method of Preparation:
- Dry roast oats for about 5 min, till you get a good aroma and then set it aside for cooling.
- After it gets cool, mill it up to a fine powder
- Take oil and heat it in a heavy –bottomed ‘kadaai’ (vessel). Add muster seeds to it. When they begin to sputter, add split urad dal and allow dal to turn red.
- Also, add sliced green chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté the ingredients for a few seconds.
- After adding grated carrot, sauté the mixture for two more mins.
- Now, add sooji (Semolina) and cook for 4 minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves to it and turn off heat. Leave the mixture to cool.
- Add the roasted powder of oats and salt to taste to mixture.
- Next, add the yoghurt and blend.
- Prepare a thick ‘dosa’ batter out of the mixture by adding enough water to it.
- Grease idli stainless steel cup or plates with oil. Add cooking sodaor eno salt and mix well.
- Pour a scoop full of idli-batter in every greased depression of the idli-plates.
- Steam the idli-plates for about 15 minutes.
- Instant oat idlis are ready to serve hot with chutney.
- Other veggies, such as cabbage, capsicum, peas and other of your choice can also be added.
- Addition of cooking soda or Eno salt makes idlis fluffy.
- Add toasted cashew-nuts to give a richer taste to idlis.
- You may substitute water with buttermilk while preparing idli-batter.
Try these healthy, delicious and quick idli, and come out perfect with success!