Serve soft idli’s and dosa’s with homemade batter.
Cooking Time: 45 min
- Whole urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Water – as per the need
- Idly rice – 3 cups
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Method for Batter
- Soak urad dal, rice along with fenugreek seeds each in a bowl for three hours.
- Drain the water from urad dal.
- Grind the urad dal by adding some water to it.
- Sprinkle water in between for proper consistency.
- Make sure the batter is fluffy and light.
- Empty the batter in a container and keep aside for fermentation.
- Drain the water from rice.
- Grind the rice by adding water.
- Sprinkle water in between for a consistent batter.
- Make sure the batter is fluffy but thicker than the urad dal batter.
- Combine salt to the rice and urad dal batter mix well.
- Place the container in a warm place and allow the mixture to ferment for 12 hours.
- Use the batter after it is fermented.
- Take a scoop of the batter and add it to the idly maker pan.
- Steam the idlis for fifteen minutes.
- Sprinkle a little water while emptying the idlis from the pan.
- Serve hot with chutney.
- Make sure the batter is in pouring consistency.
- Add a little water if the batter is thick.
- Take a scoop of batter and spread the batter in a circular motion over a tawa.
- Flip the dosa when it gets light brown.
- Serve crisp.
- Measure the ingredients accurately for proper consistency.
- Buy good quality urad dal.
- Use fresh batter to make idlis.
- The water quantity may vary according to the quality of rice and dal.