Royal Hyderabadi baingan (Bagara Baingan) blended together with the sesame and coconut paste, and served with rice.
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serves : 4
- 8 to 10 kadi patta
- 8 to 10 brinjals
- 4 tbsp oil
- 4 green chillies slit
- 1/4 tsp kalonji
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds
SESAME AND COCONUT PASTE
- 2 tbsp peanuts (raw)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut (grated)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 onions (chopped)
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- 1 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (tilli)
METHOD (Sesame and coconut paste)
- Mix coconut, peanut, garlic, ginger, onions and sesame seeds in a pan.
- Dry roast all the ingredients till they are light brown in colour.
- Combine coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, tamarind paste and chilli powder in a blender.
- Blend it into a smooth paste by adding half cup water.
- Keep aside the mixture.
METHOD (Hyderbadi Baingan)
- In a pan, heat some oil.
- Combine fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and kalonji.
- Add the brinjals, green chillies and curry leaves when the seeds splutter.
- Stir fry all the ingredients over a low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Keep the mixture aside.
- In another pan, combine sesame and coconut paste and cook the mixture for 4-5 minutes.
- Combine the cooked brinjals with half cup of water and salt.
- Cook till the brinjals are tender and soft to touch.
- Serve hot with rice.