If you look around, you’ll find a lot of teenagers being overweight or even obese now-a-days. Reasons are many… the fast food obsession and the lack of physical activity being the major ones. So, there’s an avid need for a weight loss plan, especially for our teenies. It isn’t very difficult for teenagers to lose weight coz their bodies are still growing and they have excellent metabolism.
Here’s a 3-dimensional healthy lifestyle for all the teens.
Part 1: Healthy Diet
1. It all starts with a healthy diet. You don’t need to starve yourself coz your body will very easily use up, what you eat. Don’t forget that you are still growing. Starving can actually harm your system. When you starve, your metabolism slows down and goes into a state of hibernation, so that, it can store up energy. There are increased cases of conditions, like anorexia and bulimia, which may occur coz of starving.
2. Knowing that what to eat and how much will definitely help. Here’s what you should include in your meals.
- 3 servings of fruits.
- 4 servings of vegetable.
- 3-7 servings of protein (fish, meat, milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.).
- Try not to eat carbs. They make weight loss very difficult.
- 3-5 servings of fats (nuts, butter, mayonnaise, etc.).
- Drink green tea/ water after every meal, so that, you don’t overeat.
3. You must know the basic rules of a healthy diet while you are trying to lose weight or otherwise. Here’s the basic drill.
- Breakfast should consist of carbohydrates, fat and dairy products.
- Lunch should involve proteins and vegetables.
- Dinner should typically have protein, veggies and small portion of carbohydrates.
- Snacking in between meals is good as long as it is fruits, dairy products and raw vegetables.
4. Drink loads and loads of water when you are trying to lose weight. If you have a habit of overeating, drink one full glass of water or green tea before the meal. Drinking water wouldn’t only keep you slim, it’d also give you a clear skin, and it dilutes the toxins and washes them off, gradually.
5. Cut the fast food to bare minimum. If you really wanna lose weight fast, just cut it all out for a month or two. For a healthy lifestyle, you should decrease your fast food consumption.
Part 2: Diet Plans
1. Low Carbohydrates Diet Plan
A low carbohydrate diet plan is just what you are looking for. Carbohydrates cause the body to release insulin. Now, the body controls the insulin level by producing glucose, which gets converted into fat. But, don’t cut it out completely coz your body does need glucose to function properly. Have it 20% of the times.
Foods to Eat
- Low carb veggies and green leafy veggies.
- Unprocessed fat, i.e., cow, goat or sheep milk cheese.
- Non sugar sweeteners.
- Unprocessed high protein meat, like lamb, chicken, beef and pork.
- Unprocessed high protein fish, such as salmon, trout and tuna.
Foods Not to Eat
- Fruits and fruit juices.
- Any processed food coz they generally have sugar in it.
- Veggies that have starch, like potatoes, corn and beat.
- Bakery items
2. Low Calorie Diet Plan
Low calorie diet works on the principle that if you lose more calories than you gain, you’ll lose weight. You need to reduce your calorie intake to 1200 to 1500 calories per day. It’s recommended not to try to lose more than 2 pounds per week.
- Reduce the amount of fat; you consume every day, to 25 to 30 percent of your total calorie consumption for a day. It should be about 30 to 60 grams of fats.
- Try to consume almost 180 to 240 grams of complex carbs, like veggies, fruits and grains per day. This would make up to 45 to 65 percent of your total calorie intake for a day.
- Take 60 to 90 grams of low fat protein, like milk, dairy products and poultry products. This would account to 15 to 25 percent of your total calorie consumption for the day.
3. Ketogenic Diet Plan
Ketogenic diet is almost like a low carb diet, but, you are supposed to substitute the carb with protein and fats. In fact, in the Ketogenic diet plan you consume higher fats than proteins.
- Too much protein intake makes the body to convert the protein into glucose, which is what we are trying to avoid in the first place. Also, fats don’t have any effect on the insulin and blood sugar levels.
- Try to get about 70 to 75 percent of your calories from fats. 20 to 25 percent can be achieved through protein and only 5 to 10 percent should be left upon carbs. 20 to 50 grams per day should be the maximum consumption of carbs.
- Being strict about your carbs intake is an important part of the ketogenic diet plan. So, you need to have a proper count of carbs, you are taking. You may consider buying a carb counter guide.
Part 3: Exercise and Yoga
- Make exercise a routine thing for yourself not only when you are trying to lose weight, but even after that. It will help in keeping you fit and will stop the fat from coming back.
- Walk or jog to school, if it is within a walkable distance for you. Otherwise, you can consider cycling. Consider swimming or gym classes.
- Don’t spend your day sitting on the couch, glued to T.V.
- Divide your week in 3 parts where 3 days you undergo intensive exercises, like running, cycling, or skipping, etc. and 3 days can be of mellow down exercises, like a long walk or a morning jog. 1 day can be off-day.
- An intense exercise session should last for 30 minutes to 45 minutes. You should be sweating profusely. If you are not sweating, you are not working hard enough. Try to burn around 400 calories in one intense workout session.
- Stretch before and after exercising. It’s more important than the credit given to it by most of the people.
- Do weight lifting exercises to lose weight.
- Another way to workout is to be active in sports at school or college. Sports are the most entertaining and effective way to burn fat. An average female burns around 812 calories in a basketball game of an hour. Same is the case with soccer. Otherwise, there are many other sports, like swimming, skipping, volleyball that will make you slim in no time.
- Yoga is a great way to relax mind and workout for the body. If high intensity workouts make you uneasy, yoga is just the thing for you. The various asanas and stretching helps you lose weight, makes your body flexible and leaves you refreshed for the day. There are various asanas, some of which we have mentioned below.
1. Hatha yoga involves basic exercise that focus on breathing and posture. It’s expected to burn 175 calories in an hour.
2. Vinyasa yoga is another form, which is a bit faster and involves a series of postures in which, you stretch your body. It’s expected to burn 445 calories in an hour.
3. Bikram yoga requires professional surveillance. This yoga is performed in a heated room. It burn approximately 635 calories.
Now, here are some brownie points for you to make the weight loss even faster.
- Sleep for at least eight hours and preferably in a dark room. A sound sleep has to be ensured because when each part of the body is relaxed, it automatically starts up with some fixing business. You must have noticed that mostly, when we wake up, we are thirsty. It’s because the body employs energy to burn fat, when you sleep. Sleep straight.
- Breakfast is a must. It kick-start your metabolism. If you don’t feel like eating in morning, start with something very light. This is the first meal, you are giving to your body, so, it will definitely kick-start your whole system with a fresh energy.
- Chew slowly. Never eat your food in a hurry.
- Cut out on sweets and bakeries for a month or two.
- Never eat out of boredom. That is shockingly one of the most prevalent reasons for obesity. Keep yourself busy. Try to differentiate between boredom and hunger. No rocket science, seriously!
- Never take pills to lose weight.
- Not too quick and not too much.
- Don’t try to become overly slim. It also depends on your bone structure, you can’t contract them, so, accept yourself for the way, you are first.