No matter, how much do we care about our skin; we always tend to get some kind of spots, acne or scars on it. Facial skin is the most sensitive area in one’s body, and needs extra thought and care than other parts of the body. Freckles are one such type of skin spots that many of us fret over. Some people have no issues having freckles, whereas there are others, who keep on looking to hide them or remove them.
Most people do not know what exactly freckles are, and how are they caused? They characterize them as facial spots and assume that they are caused due to dirty skin or eating non vegetarian food.
Today, I am going to tell you in depth what exactly freckles are, how are they developed and what are the preventive measures? Let’s have a look.
What are Freckles?
Freckles are small, circular and flat spots of melanin, which are normally seen on the skin of people with fair complexion. They are developed due to repetitive sun exposure. They may be of different colors ranging from red to yellow tan, light- brown to brown. Freckles can develop amongst both, men and women, and especially in summers. But, it at all does not mean that one cannot get freckles in winter. It depends on a person’s skin response to sun-light.
What are the Various Types of Freckles?
There are basically two types of freckles:
- Ephelides – This type of freckles are light brown or red in color, and are small and circular. However, they develop during sunny months and gradually get fade away, as winter approaches.
- Lentigines- These are small brown or blackish freckles that tend to be darker than ephelides. They do not get fade away even in winters.
Causes of Freckles
- Sun exposure is one of the major causes of developing freckles.
- Freckles are also caused by a pigment, named Melanin, produced by special skin cells (melanocytes). More the production of melanin in your body, more are your chances to develop freckles.
- Hormonal abnormalities may also cause freckles. If estrogen overly stimulates pigment- producing cells, these cells will generate excess color or melanin, when exposed to sun light.
- Fair skin is another cause of developing freckles. Fair skin has a very less amount of melanin to absorb UV rays and hence, melanin is produced at an increased rate by special pigment cells.
Treatment of Freckles
How can you treat the freckle that you have already developed on your skin? Well, here is the treatment.
One of the effective treatments of freckle is to start applying a sunscreen that comes with SPF 30(MINIMUM). Notice for a period of 15 days. If your freckles do not get fade away, consult your dermatologist and go for one of the following treatments:
- Bleaching Creams- You can use Hydroquinone and Kojic acid, which are one of the most beneficial creams for the treatment of freckles. But, do not expect overnight results. Use them at least for one month and then, observe the effects.
- Tretinoin- Tretinoin (containing vitamin A and all-trans retinoic acid) can also make freckles lighter, if applied over a period of time till, freckles get fade away.
- Laser- It is one of the most effective treatments to get rid of freckles. Laser lights are very powerful and effective, and they fade away freckles quite easily. But, it can be an expensive treatment as you have to pay heavy charges to the cosmetologist.
- Intense Pulsed Light Therapy (IPL) – It is the new form of facial rejuvenation, where energy is supplied to your epithelial layer (top most layer of skin) and deep layer (dermis) of the skin. In the process, epithelial layer is spared from damage and hence, no recovery time is required.
I have come up with the most effective treatments to cure freckles. If you have any doubts or queries, you can write to us. We are always there to make you look confident and beautiful, and your life more bright and cheerful.