Dahi Bhalla….the name is enough to bring water in our mouth. Isn’t it? It is one of the tastiest dishes of India. Deep fried vadas topped with flavoured spicy yogurt is simply out of the world. This festive season, serve your guests with soft, delicious and melt-in-the mouth dahi bhallas.
Preparation time- 6 hours
Cooking Time- 20 minutes
Ingredients for Vada/Bhalle
- Oil for frying
- Salt- to taste
- 1 cup Split Black Gram (Urad Daal)
- ¼ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
Ingredients for Garnishing
- Finely chopped coriander
- Tamarind Chutney- to taste
- Green Chutney- to taste
- Red Chilli Powder- to taste
- 2 cups well beaten Yogurt
- Roasted Cumin Powder
- Chaat Masala
- Soak urad daal in a water-filled bowl, overnight or for 6 hours.
- The next morning, grind it into a paste.
- Take out grinded daal in a bowl and to it, add roasted cumin powder and salt. Whip it properly.
- Take oil in a pan and heat it on medium flame.
- Take urad daal batter and with the help of your hands, give it the shape of vada.
- Gently drop the vadas into hot oil.
- Deep fry them until they turn golden yellow on both sides.
- Allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Take a water-filled bowl. Add a little salt to it.
- Soak cooled vadas in this bowl for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out vada and gently press them to exclude the water.
- Put vadas in a serving dish and pour yogurt to submerge them.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander, tamarind and green chutney, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and red chilli powder.
- Before serving, chill it in the refrigerator.
To make the dish tasty, you can add crushed coriander seeds and chopped green chilies to the dal batter, just before you begin frying the vadas.