Well… I don’t know about yours but my mouth hasn’t stopped watering from the moment I’ve seen it. It looks crunchy, appetizing, sweet, spicy and a food with a great concoction of lot of flavours.
This Gujarati recipe must be surely a rocking street food of the state. No wonder, why it’s so admired among the entire North India too. And also, you will be amazed to know that it savours completely unlike the most popular burger or vada pav. You can do lots of experiment with this cuisine as well. According to your wish, you may replace the pomegranate with chopped or small sized green or black apples. If health conscious, may also use Whole Wheat Italian Bread instead of buns! You may say a Guajarati delight as a starter, side dish, picnics meal and as food itself. This one… I am sure is hard to resist!
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- 8- Pav (buns)
- ½ cup- Red or green chutney
- 2 tbsp- Butter
- 2 tbsp- Masala peanuts
- ½ cup- finely chopped Green Dhaniya (coriander)
- ½ cup- Thin Sev
- ½ cup- Anaar seeds (pomegranate)
For Dabeli Masala:
- 2 tsp- entire Dhaniya (coriander)
- 3-4 Black pepper
- 1 inch- long piece Cinnamon
- 1 tsp- cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2- Clove
For Dabeli stuffing:
- 4- Potatoes
- 1- Green chilli
- 2- Tomatoes
- 1 inch- Long piece Ginger
- 1 tbsp- Oil
- 1 tbsp- Butter
- ½ tsp- Jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tsp- Lemon juice (if you wish)
- ¼ tsp- Turmeric powder
- 1 pinch- Heeng (asafoetida)
- ¾ tsp- Sugar (if you wish)
- 1/2 tsp- Salt to taste
- Initially boil the potatoes and strip them when calm. Mash it up into pieces.
- Clean the tomatoes and slice them into bits.
- Chop up or grate the ginger and cut finely green chilli.
- Now start preparing the Dabeli spices to mix up with the filling.
- In a warm pan keep all the spices apart from red chilli and hurl till turning light brown.
- Calm down the heated spices and grate them to make a powder. You may use this Dabeli masala to blend whilst roasting the stuff.
- Dispense some butter and oil in a frying pan or kadhai to heat. Lay some jeera and heeng into it.
- Once the jeera is roasted lightly, you may combine ginger, turmeric powder and green chilli.
- Bake lightly. Now put tomato bits and sauté till it is smashed and ripe.
- Now add salt as per your taste, Dabeli masala and potatoes. Stir and fry for 4-5 minutes. The Dabeli filling is prepared. Keep aside in a bowl.
- Slice the Pavs or buns from the middle in two leaving some part wedged together.
- In a fiery tawa or pan fry the Pav from both sides in some butter until it gets brown in colour.
- You may now, open up the Pav and apply the sweet chutney at one side and salty green the other side.
- At this moment place one spoon of filling inside the Pav.
Garnishing: Now put some sev, seeng dana, green dhaniya and pomegranate seeds over the stuffing or you may also use it for garnishing.
Can’t wait to grab it anymore! This yummy cuisine has made me fanatical. I will prefer to have this scrumptious food while tempting my friends too. And surely get in return a lot of appreciation this Sunday.
So what are you waiting for? Try it promptly!