Palak Lachha Parantha is made with wheat flour, spinach and other spices. Preparing appetizing spinach parantha is a very easy and simple job. It just required preparation of spinach puree, kneading the dough using the puree and cooking the parantha in a usual, normal way. This yummy and nutritious palak lachha parantha requires no stuffing, no chaos…Nothing! Dry Indian spices used in the recipe make it so delicious that it can rival stuffed paranthas.
- 1 small bunch Spinach (palak)
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp White sesame seeds (till)- Optional
- Milk to knead the dough
- 1 small piece of Ginger and 2-3 green chillies, to make spinach puree
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
For Palak Puree
Blend all three – spinach, ginger and green chillies in a blender with a small amount of water (about two tbsp). Transfer the prepared puree in a bowl, and keep it aside.
For Palak Lachha Parantha
- Take a large sized bowl. Add wheat flour and all the dry ingredients- cumin seeds, carom seeds, garam masala, red chilli powder, sesame seeds (optional) and salt to it. Mix well avoiding lumps.
- Now, add prepared palak/ spinach puree and knead it for 10-12 minutes to make very soft dough.
- Knead the dough using milk.
- Cover the dough with small large sized bowl and keep it aside for nearly 30 minutes.
- Flatten ball- sized dough and begin rolling it out with the help of rolling –pin.
- After rolling it out, sprinkle flour and oil (just a bit) over the parantha.
- Now, start folding it in a ‘Japanese fan’ style. Fold it again to make it round. Seek the help of the picture, to get a clear idea about the folding pattern.
- Next, roll it out once more using a rolling pin.
- Place the parantha over a hot ‘tawa’.
- Fry the lachha parantha, either using ghee or oil. Flip the parantha and fry it on both sides.
- Once done, serve it with garlic chutney, ‘aloo-tamaatar sabzi’ or curd to treat your taste-buds. You may also couple it with pickle, and pack it in the lunch box of your children as a healthy snack.
- Use a small sized balanced onion and blanched palak to make onion-spinach puree for variation.
- To make Lachha Parantha softer, knead the dough very softly.
- You can prepare the stuffed lachha parantha using the stuffings of panner in it.
- To give a tempting look, use 3-4 tbsp chopped spinach along with its mash (puree).