Gobi or Cauliflower Manchurian is an Indo-Chinese recipe, with deep-fried, spicy cauliflower fritters. The Indian Chinese appetizer is a delight for this season with a crisper coating outside. And, when it releases the tangy flavors of different spicy sauces in your mouth, you want it more and more.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 Minutes
Ready in: 1 hr
For Gobi Manchurian
- 10-15 cauliflower florets (lemon size)
- 3 tablespoons of corn flour
- 5 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Salt as per the taste
- Oil to deep fry
Ingredients for Manchurian Sauce
- ½ cup of chopped spring onions
- 1 tablespoon of garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of green chillies (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of corn flour
- 1 cup of water/vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of red-chilli sauce (Asian style)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable or sunflower oil
- Salt, as per the taste
- Mix the corn flour with all-purpose flour (a type of wheat flour), pepper, and salt.
- By adding some water in it, prepare a thick mixture.
- Now, mix the cauliflower florets, to get it coated well with the mixture.
- Take a wok or deep frying pan, to heat some oil.
- Put at least 5 to 6 florets at a time, into the oil.
- Fry till the florets turn to golden brown.
- Take it out from the oil, and put on the paper towels. Place aside.
- Take a bowl and put in the corn flour by adding ¼ cup of water (you may use more water to prepare the sauce).
- Put in soya sauce, chilli sauce, ketchup, and salt. Stir.
- Now, take a frying pan to heat the oil, keeping it on high heat.
- Mix garlic, green chillies, ginger, and spring onions, in it. Stir for a few seconds.
- Now, you may add some more corn flour (optional). This will help to prepare thick gravy.
- Cook for a few minutes, until it turns thick. Keep on stirring frequently.
- You may use water if it gets thicken in the middle, also to maintain the gravy texture.
- Make sure that the corn flour is cooked.
- As it is cooked, take it out from the heat.
- Now, you may mix the Fried Cauliflower, with the Sauce that you have prepared.
- Serve hot.
For garnishing, you may use the spring onion leaves with green chillies (if you want it spicier).