Whether it’s Caribbean or Southern zone of cooking, Black beans and rice make such a classic blend together that every time you have it, fills you up with vehemence. Among various easy ways to cook this recipe, we are giving you the quicker one, keeping its great taste intact.
Moreover, in spite of soaking dry black beans for the night, and then let it cook for an hour, which won’t come under a quick and easy dish, you can use the canned black beans.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 20 minutes
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1/2 thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1/2 thinly sliced red bell pepper (you can also substitute it with roasted red bell peppers or with chopped pimentos)
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 16-ounce cans of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 Tbsps of white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder or you may also use few dashes of Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano or 1 heaping Tbsp of chopped fresh oregano
- Salt & pepper as per the taste
- Lime wedges & cilantro (Optional for garnishing)
- Normally, white rice takes 15-20 minutes to get cooked.
- Make sure the water gets simmered well and give time to the rice to sit properly.
- Take a big size skillet.
- Heat oil on medium temperature.
- Sauté bell peppers and onions for about 3 to 4 minutes, till it begins to soften.
- Add garlic to fry up for one more minute.
- Now, you may add up the black beans, vinegar, and cayenne or Tabasco.
- Stir up all these ingredients a bit.
- Now, you have to bring all these to a boil, in low, reduced heat.
- Make sure, you have covered the skillet properly, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now you can stir in rice with some oregano.
- Mix some salt and pepper for taste.
We also recommend you to mix in some chopped canned green olives with pimentos, for adding more zest to the usual black beans and rice dish. For garnishing, you may use Lime wedges & cilantro as well.