We get dilapidated significantly by various types of stress in life, be it emotional stress, physical stress, being pressurized at workplace for one reason or the other, and many more. Sometimes, we feel like getting lost from the cobwebs and pre occupancies of our lives and get into a world of peace, wellness and calmness of mind and body that will soothe us from inside and out, while pampering our senses and body.
What if we get all that soothing treatment whilst being in the same environment? I know that you must be wondering how? I have the answer and the answer is that you just need to alter your environment. Altering means just add all those factors that make you calm down and relax your senses.
Aromatherapy is one such mind revitalizing and rejuvenating treatment that actually changes your whole mood and set your energy levels to a new height. Today, I will tell you the therapeutic benefits of aromatherapy, and how it plays a pivotal role in altering your mood.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is all about using natural oils extracted from various natural sources, like bark, stem, leaves, flowers, and roots to augment physical and physiological well-being of a person. These oils are called as ‘essential oils’ and they are also known to prevent diseases, revive a person’s body, reduces anxiety, and they even prevents hair-loss.
How to use ‘Aromatherapy Oils’?
There are number of ways by which, you can use therapeutic aromatic oils to soothe and relax your mind and body. See the list below to know the techniques and options of using aromatherapy oils or essential oils.
- You can add a few drops of essential oil into old potpourri, which has lost its scent.
- You can put few drops of oil into a spray bottle, containing water. The mix of oil and water in spray bottle can be used as an air freshener.
- Put a few drops of essential oil into the melted wax of burning candle, which will spread aroma of oil into the whole room.
- You can even get rid of mice by using peppermint aroma oil. Take a few drops of peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball and place it at various corners of your home. And, it will resolve your problem.
- If you own a pet and dog odor is troubling you, you can put a few drops of Geranium essential oil on a cotton ball and put in your vacuum cleaner bag that will remove the entire foul odor.
- You can put tea-tree and lavender essential oils directly onto cuts and cracks that will soothe your wounds instantly.
- Lemon essential oil is the best way to get rid of wart. Apply this essential oil every day, until the wart gets eliminated.
- If you suffer from hangover of the previous night, then you can put a few drops of the essential oils or blend of your favorite aroma oils to soften the hangover, and it actually works. Try it!
- Aroma oils can be directly used as body cologne. You can apply the desired amount on the desired areas.
- Some of the aroma oils also induce sleep. Popular oils that give you a restful sleep are: Chamomile, Lavender, Neroli, Marjoram, etc. You can put a few drops on your pillow and have a peaceful and sound sleep.
- To bring out a radiant glow on your face, put a drop of Geranium aroma oil into your moisturizer and apply it on face.
- To promote thickness and growth of your hair, put a few drops of rosemary essential oil on your hair brush.
- For office and workplace, lavender and grapefruit essential oils are the best. Lavender creates a tranquil atmosphere, while grapefruit revitalizes air and removes stale air.
- For baby massage, you can make a mix of 1 drop of each Roman Chamomile, Lavender, and Geranium diluted in 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil.
- Rosemary essential oil also stimulates alertness and memory. One should smell it before a long car journey or whilst reading a book.
- Rub a little quantity of lavender/rosemary essential oil on your neck to relieve headache.
Safety Precautions while Using Aroma Oils
Although, aroma oils are essential for us in many context; but, we should be careful whilst using these oils. Don’t worry, there are no major precautions associated with these oils. Read on to know the safety measures to be taken while using essential oils.
- Read the warning, usage and everything else that is written on the label of the oil, which you have bought.
- Do not put oil into your eyes. If, by chance, product gets into your eyes, wash it away immediately with warm water and still, if any irritation or redness persist, seek medical advice.
- Keep essential oils away from children. Aroma oils have a very pleasant and indulgent fragrance and children might drink them.
- Do not use oil more than told by your vendor or company. Use only the same quantity that is written on the label of the bottle. Using oil in large quantity than prescribed may cause headache or nausea.
- Never even think of applying essential oil over your body or face directly. Dilute them first by mixing them with a carrier oils, moisturizers or body butters, and then apply them on the desired body part. Applying oil directly on skin may cause burning, itching and redness.
- Even you should not ever ingest essential oils. You can use such oils, only if, your specific recipe calls for it and you have read somewhere about the same.
Essential oils are really amazing for wellness of your body and mind, but, they can be hazardous, if not used properly. So, always follow these instructions whilst using the essential oils.
Various Oils for Various Moods
Not every essential oil is going to produce the same effect on your body. Each of the essential oil has its own set of healing and rejuvenating properties. Here, I am telling you the various oils that can be used accordingly for various situations.
Bergamot, Chamomile, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Patchouli, Vanilla, and Ylang Ylang
Bergamot, Chamomile, Cedar wood, Frankincense, Jasmine, Lavender, Neroli, Patchouli, Rose, and Sandalwood
Bergamot, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, and Rose
Basil, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Ginger, Jasmine, Lemon, Peppermint, Patchouli, and Rosemary
Basil, Cypress, Lemon, Peppermint, and Rosemary
So, as you have come to know a lot about these essential oils, it’s time to recreate a ‘new’ you with the help of these oils that will soothe your mind, senses and whole body, because these ‘essential oils’ essentially works!