Monotonous routine….mounds of work on the desk…feeling un-plugged….no time to recharge yourself… all these are indicating that you need a break! Vacations, an antidote to work, provide you the best chance to rediscover yourself and alter your routine. Plan your vacations such that it doesn’t affect the natural beauty of our planet. Yes, you’re right! I’m talking about green and eco-friendly holidays. So, I am here to make your trip relaxing, ecological, and fabulous.
Here are Some Tips:
Before Leaving Your Dream Home
On reaching the destination, suddenly you remember that you have forgotten to switch off the light of your bedroom and kitchen. What will you do? Either return back early or keep thinking about it the whole time. If so, what is the sense of vacation? Consider the following tips:
- Unplug all electronics, even if they are turned off.
- Compost vegetables, flour products, bread, and fruits.
- Stop magazine and newspaper subscription.
- “Switch-off” the LPG cylinder.
If you have 2 or 3 days of your vacation, don’t waste it in travelling from one place to another. Choose one destination and explore it completely. Learn about the culture and unknown facts of that place. This way, you can prevent yourself from being tired and will enjoy the holidays to the fullest. Also, it will help in the conservation of fuels.
Travelling by train is the most economic and eco-friendly way of transportation. Driving your own vehicle or travelling by air causes negative impact on the environment. Also, you get the opportunity to explore the natural landscapes while travelling by train. You can also rent a fuel-efficient vehicle for travel. However, if you are required to fly, follow the below given tips:
- Pack light.
- Take a direct flight.
- Fly during the daytime.
Do research and choose the resort or hotel that
- Use renewable energy.
- Contain recycling facilities.
- Provide non-toxic bedding.
- Serve organic meals.
- Make use of non-toxic cleaning products.
Apart from staying in an eco-friendly accommodation, you can also take some steps on your part to reduce the upshots of your tour on the environment.
- Unplug the charger as your batteries get recharged.
- Switch-off lights of your room, before going for outing. During daytime, open the windows instead of switching on the lights.
- Reuse towels and bedding.
- Use as much water as you need.
- Instead of using dry cleaning services of the resort, prefer hand-washing.
Support the Locals
Be a “good guest”. You can support the local people in following ways:
- Use local products.
- Support the local economy as much as you can.
- Respect the local culture.
- Patronize local activities.
- Never purchase endangered animal and plant products.
- Never dump litter here and there.
- Don’t damage cultural artifacts.
Plan vacations in your own city or home, if you are not interested in going outside.
- You can explore the local restaurants, beaches, museums, and botanical gardens. Do fishing, boating, and camping.
- Another idea is to convert your house into vacation retreat. No phone calls, no computers, no office work! Just a complete mental health break! Prepare the recipe you love the most. Pursue your hobby, which you have not taken for a long time due to busy schedules.
I am sure, after returning from the vacations, you will feel relaxed and refreshing and wish the similar vacations every year.