Makar Sankranti is all about kites, sweets and prayers. The festival is celebrated with immense zeal throughout India. In Punjab, it is Lohri… In South, it is Pongal… In East, it is Bhogali Bihu. Here is a list of top ten reasons why we look forward for this festival so eagerly.
1. Are you sure we don’t need the alarm? Yes, it is the day when we forget being lazy and wake early in the morning, even before the sun rises. The only day we behave like a nanny, right?
2. The aroma of gur and til in the air makes hearts filled with its divine sweetness and charm. We tend to forget bitterness and cold wars in the neighbourhood.
4. Reds, blues, yellows, greens…a day of colour, grace and elegance. And, the same applies for our attires for the day. We dress up in bright colourful clothes, which are not plain and dull like the usual days.
6. Well, if you neither enjoy flying kite nor you are good at dancing, you can always enjoy the staring game (on your terraces). I am sure you have plenty of beautiful girls or handsome boys living nearby.
7. And if you are single, chances are that you may mingle! Who knows, the guy who lives next door may find ways to come closer to you! What if he sends you a love note along with his cut kite string? After all sugar is in the air.
8. It’s a day when we relish some of the authentic dishes made particularly for the day, whether its Til Laddus, Gajak, Revadi, Moongfali ki Chikki or Gajar ka Halwa. We start our day with sweets and also end our day with it. What is sweeter than this?
With all these messages, I sign off and wish you all –
“A Very Happy and Safe Makar Sankranti”!