Snoring can be really irksome, if not to you, then to people around you. Usually people, who snore, have no idea that they are doing so, but ask their spouses and they’ll go on ranting about their sleepless nights coz of the snoring partner. Though, snoring is not a disease but it may indicate a medical condition. You can identify it with the kind of snoring, you do.
- Snoring with the mouth open indicates some problem with your throat tissues.
- Snoring with the mouth closed may be related with your tongue.
- Snoring while you sleep on your back is usually mild and you just need to work on your sleeping habits and lifestyle.
- All time snoring is severe and you may have to take a comprehensive treatment to cure it.
So, here are some natural home remedies that can help your prevent snoring. First, start with a few lifestyle changes as they have a huge effect on snoring and sleep disorders.
1. Sleep Position
A slight change is sleep position may prove very helpful to you. When you sleep on your back, the base of your tongue and back of the palate touch the wall of your throat, which creates a vibrating sensation and sound. Sleep on your side and you’ll notice reasonable changes.
2. Weight Loss
Losing weight may help people, who started snoring after putting on. There’s no direct relation between being fat and snoring. Thin people snore too. It’s just when you gain more weight around your throat it squeezed a little causing snoring while asleep.
3. Sleep Routine
Having a good sleep is important for more than one reason. Having little sleep after a long working hours make you sleep hard, and your muscles get floppier resulting in snoring. You must make sure that you get enough relaxed sleep.
Studies prove that people, who don’t normally snore, also tend to snore when they are drunk. Sleeping pills and other sedatives also have the same effect. It tends to relax your throat muscles too much that they collapse and cause snoring.
5. Nasal Passage
Some people snore through the nose. It may be because of blocked nasal passage coz of cold, cough etc. The air doesn’t get a free space for the inflow and outflow and so, it results in snoring. You may take a hot shower before sleeping. Alternatively, you can rinse the nasal passage with lukewarm saline water.
Smoking tends to block the air passages by irritating the nose and throat membranes. Quitting smoking is anyway good for a better overall health. So, we’d suggest you to give up on smoking as soon as possible.
7. Keeping Hydrated
Dried throat encourages snoring. So, make sure you drink a lot of water throughout the day and especially, before going to sleep. According to researchers, a woman must have 11 cups of water from all the food and liquids in a day whereas men require at least 16 cups.
Some people snore due to dust mites or allergens present in the pillows. You must change your pillows every six months and put them in air fluff cycle once in a while. There are some pillows which guarantee to control snoring. They are designed to lift your head to fix the nasal passage thing, but it may cause you back and neck pain.
9. Warm Fluids
Drink something warm before going to sleep. It can be honey in lukewarm water or warm milk with a pinch of turmeric. Turmeric has great anti-bacterial and healing properties. If you don’t like milk, organic tea with tulsi is also a good option.
People, who have pets, must keep them out of the bedroom. Dogs shed dander that contains allergens. These danders are very light, so they stay in the air and you eventually breathe them, which might cause snoring by blocking the nasal passage. It may also cause allergies to some people.
There are some simple throat exercises that help in preventing snoring. All you have to do is to spare 30 minutes every day to these throat exercises.
- Place the tip of your tongue right behind your front upper teeth and slide your tongue backwards for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Repeat English vowels i.e. a, e, i, o, u loudly for 3 to 4 minutes several times a day.
- Keeping your mouth open, move the jaws towards right. Hold for a few seconds and repeat the same on the left side. Do it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Purse your lips tightly, keeping your mouth closed. Hold for 30 seconds, let go and repeat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stand in front of the mirror. Open your mouth and contract the muscles at the back of your throat, repeatedly. You’ll see the uvula move up and down with the contraction. Repeat it for several times.
- Stick your tongue out and try to reach for your chin hold. Now, stick the tongue out again. This time try to reach for the nose. Repeat for 10-12 times.
- Smile widening your lips as much as you can. Repeat this several times a day.
- Singing also helps in controlling muscles.
- Playing wind based music instruments, like flute, didgeridoo, etc. also gives a very good exercise to the throat and palate muscles.
These small changes would help you in overcoming snoring, but if you feel, you need to take a medicinal step for it; there are many homeopathic medicines that are quite effective in preventing snoring. Apart from that, there are various therapies, like hypnosis, magnet therapy, gem and crystal therapy which have proved really helpful in alleviating snoring. You may consult your dentist as well as there are some dental devices that can stop snoring.