First, let us tell you what smoothies are? Smoothies are beverages, rich in fiber and more filling than juices. They are a slower-releasing source of energy and are a healthy option for people trying to maintain or lose weight. Ideally, the drink contains proteins, low GI carbohydrates, and good fats. Depending on your choice of vegetables and fruits, you can pack them with antioxidants and micronutrients.
Here is what you basically need to do-
Base your smoothie around a protein supplement, natural unflavored yogurt, raw nuts or seeds (or any other good source of protein), low GI fruits (1-2 serves) such as berries (frozen or fresh), apples, bananas, citrus fruits, etc.
Use nut milk, coconut water, or just water, as the liquid component of your drink (avoid using dairy milk). You can also use a handful of green veggies for an additional nutritional benefit, and filling up your tummy for a longer period of time.
1) Green Goodness Smoothie
- Flesh and juice of a coconut (yields about 300ml water)
- Mixed berries-frozen or fresh (1 cup)
- Banana (1)
- Leafy vegetables such as kale or baby spinach (1-2 cups)
Note- Flesh and water of the coconut are a healthy mix of fats and electrolytes (hydrating agent), while the greens and berries are rich in minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that help you feel and look your best.
Add all the ingredients to your blender and blend them until they are smooth (remember to add all the liquid ingredients first). If you like your smoothie chilled, add a few cubes of ice to the blender.
2) Banana Brekkie Smoothie
- Soak a mixture of raw seeds in water and keep overnight. This is done to absorb maximum nutrients from them. You can use linseeds, pumpkin, chia, sesame, sunflower, etc. (1 heaped tablespoon)
- Protein powder (1 heaped tablespoon)
- Banana (1)
- Ground cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
- Raw honey (1 teaspoon)
- 200-300 ml of oat/almond/soy milk
Note- This smoothie is a balanced and fine mix of proteins, good fats and carbohydrates. A fulfilling, healthy and delicious breakfast option; the added cinnamon helps you balance your blood sugar level.
Same as Green Goodness Smoothie.
3) Pretty Pear Smoothie
- Unsweetened vanilla milk (8 ounce)
- Kale- stems removed (4-5 leaves)
- Asian pear (1/2)
- Frozen banana (1/2)
- Fresh grated ginger (1/2 piece)
- Cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon)
- Chia seeds (1 teaspoon)
- Ground flax meal (1 teaspoon)
Blend all the ingredients together and serve.
4) Beauty Bonanza Smoothie
- Frozen or fresh strawberries (1/4 cup)
- Frozen or fresh blueberries (1/2 cup)
- 1 peeled orange
- 1 banana (ripe)
- Plain, fat free yoghurt (1/2 cup)
- Silken, extra firm tofu (1/2 cup)
- Chia seeds (2 tablespoon)
- Agave nector (1 teaspoon)
Note- Though berries are little, they contain antioxidant compounds that prevent premature skin again and skin cell damage.
Combine all the ingredients together in a blender, and whip well until they become smooth. Serve and enjoy.
5) Green and Glowing Smoothie
- Clean spinach leaves (1 cup)
- Clean chopped kale (1 cup)
- Seedless green grapes (1 cup)
- 1 pear (seeds and stem removed)
- 1 peeled and sliced orange
- 1 peeled banana
- Chia seeds (1 teaspoon)
- Water (1/2 cup)
- Some ice
Note- Kale is full of carotenoids, which gives you a very healthy looking skin.
Place all the components in a mixer-grinder, and blend it at a low speed for about 15 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and then high, so that it blends well.
6) Carrot-mango smoothie
- 1 chopped mango
- Fresh carrot juice (1 cup)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Ice cubes (skip using ice cubes if your mango is already frozen or chilled)
Pour all the ingredients in a blender and work until they become smooth.
7) Coconut Bliss Smoothie
- Sustain packet (1)
- Water (4 ounces)
- Unsweetened almond milk (4 ounces)
- Frozen and sliced bananas (1/2)
- Coconut oil (1 tablespoon)
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (1 tablespoon)
- Ice cubes (4)
Note- Coconut is essential for skin growth and repair of damaged skin. It contains lauric acid, which possesses antimicrobial properties.
Add the ingredients in a blender. Mix until they become creamy and smooth. Delicious smoothie is ready!
8) Paradise Smoothie
- 1 ripe peach (sliced)
- Chopped avocados (2 tablespoons)
- Unsweetened frozen strawberries (1/3 cup)
- Plain, fat free yogurt (3/4 cup)
- 100% pomegranate juice (3 tablespoons)
- Grapeseed oil (1 teaspoon)
- Pure vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
Note- Avocados are rich in vitamin C, E and K, which are important to a glowing skin. It is also loaded with antioxidant powers.
Place the ingredients in a blender, and blend well.
9) Renew You Smoothie
- Chilled detox tea (8 ounce)
- Organic parsley (handful)
- Kale leaves (2-3)
- Chopped organic carrot (1)
- ½ lemon juice
- Frozen pineapple (1/3)
- Peeled ginger (1 piece)
- ¼ avocado
Blend, blend and blend some more!
10) Pineapple Strawberry Smoothie
- Fresh strawberries (2 cups)
- Fresh pineapple (1/2)
- Fresh lemonade (2 cups)
- Crushed ice (3 cups)
- Powdered sugar (3 tablespoons)
Peel the skin of the pineapple and chop it into fine pieces. Combine it with the rest of the ingredients. Blend well and smooth.